New Delhi, January 07 (Kashmir Voice): Former Indian Finance Minister P Chidambaram took a dig at ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government for failing to restore normalcy in occupied Kashmir.
According to media sources, P Chidambaram in a series of tweets on Sunday said that militaristic and muscular policy had failed to achieve anything in Kashmir. He said that there was an issue concerning Jammu and Kashmir and there were frequent reminders to indicate it. Chidambaram said: “If you are one of those who had thought that the hard, muscular, militaristic approach of the government should be given a chance, please look at the table once again. You may change your view.” He wrote: “From time to time, we are rudely reminded that there is an issue concerning the Jammu and Kashmir. The last reminder came on the night of December 30-31, 2017, when mujahideen attacked the CRPF Training Centre at Lethpora in Pulwama district killing five CRPF personnel and injuring three”. Terming recent appointment of interlocutor Dineshwar Sharma to the Valley as a ploy to garner votes for BJP ahead of Gujarat elections, he said: “On the eve of the election in Gujarat, the government appointed Mr Dineshwar Sharma as Special Representative, but his mandate was not clear. Subsequently, it was indicated that the SR will talk to anyone who was willing to meet him, and therein lies the catch,” he tweeted. Asking India to shun its aggressive approach on Kashmir, he wrote: “Wisdom lies in actively working to find a political solution to the issue of Jammu and Kashmir. KASHMIR VOICE
Srinagar, January 06 (Kashmir Voice): In occupied Kashmir, the All Parties Hurriyat Conference has strongly condemned the continued house arrest of its Chairman, Syed Ali Gilani, and detention of other resistance leaders.
According to media sources, the APHC spokesman in a statement issued in Srinagar said that the imprisonment of Hurriyat leaders had no constitutional or moral justification and the Indian police were suppressing their peaceful voices with the barrel of gun. He said that in 2017, Syed Ali Gilani was stopped 48 times from offering Friday prayers, an important religious obligation. The spokesman said that the Indian police invented a new process of house arrests and banning of political activities of Syed Ali Gilani and other leaders during 2010 mass uprising in occupied Kashmir. “Since then police never produced any legal justification for this illegal house arrest process and they never explained that under which act or section of the law is Syed Ali Gilani being imprisoned in his house. This lawlessness continued in the period of Omar Abdullah and now PDP regime is following the suite in its rule,” he added. The spokesman denouncing the PDP-led puppet regime said that “their rhetoric about battle of idea proved hoax and they proved most opportunistic”. He added that despite their tall claims about freedom of expression, they are chasing political leaders, strangulating genuine voices, curbing peaceful political activities and implicating and caging youth on fake allegations. KASHMIR VOICE
Srinagar, January 06 (Kashmir Voice): In occupied Kashmir, justice continues to elude the victim families of gory Sopore massacre for the past 25 years whose near and dear ones lose their lives at the hands of Indian paramilitary Border Security Force personnel in Sopore town on January 6, 1993.
According to media sources, on the fateful day the BSF personnel had gone on a rampage after an unknown person allegedly snatched a riffle from a soldier. Over 60 civilians were martyred and more than 350 structures including residential houses and shops were gutted after Indian soldiers set the town ablaze. People who are witness to that gruesome massacre still shiver while narrating the ordeal.
Ghulam Rasool Ganai, who witnessed the massacre and arson, said that the marauding troops dragged out the driver of a bus (JKY-1901) from the vehicle and fired into the passengers, killing 20 of them. “The troops then set shops and buildings on fire after sprinkling gun powder. About 400 shops and buildings including 75 residential houses were gutted in Shalpora, Shahabad, Muslimpeer, Kraltang and Arampora areas of the town,” he said. Among the gutted buildings were Women’s Degree College and Samad Talkies. The family which suffered the highest number of casualties was the Shalla family of Shalpora. Four of its men were killed. Muhammad Shafi Shalla, a member of the family, said, “We had fruit business. A day before the massacre one of our fruit-laden trucks had got stuck in a drain. Four members of our family who were retrieving the truck on the day of the massacre had taken shelter in a shop when the BSF started firing at people. The BSF men entered the shop and killed them all.” Tariq Ahmed Kanjawal, 45, a survivor and eyewitness of the massacre, was 20 then. “The image of a burning shopkeeper emerging out of his shop and shouting hysterically has stayed with me all these years. His head was in flames. I remember a BSF officer telling his colleagues not to shoot him as he will be dead soon,” said Tariq. Human rights organizations like Amnesty International had condemned the killings and demanded justice for the victims. The Sopore massacre also got published in the Time magazine under the heading ‘BLOOD TIDE RISING.’ According to the magazine 55 persons were killed in the massacre. KASHMIR VOICE
Srinagar, January 06 (Kashmir Voice): In occupied Kashmir, at least four Indian policemen were killed in a blast in Sopore town, today.
According to media sources, the blast took place in Gole Market area of the town resulting in the killing of four Indian policemen. The powerful explosion occurred on a day when complete shutdown is being observed in Sopore on the completion of 25 years to a deadly massacre by Indian troops in the town. Call for the shutdown has been given by the Joint Resistance Leadership comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik. The resistance leaders have also announced to hold a rally in the town to pay tributes to the victims of the massacre of 1993. The puppet authorities have sealed all entry and exit points of Sopore by deploying Indian troops and police personnel in strength. The authorities have already put Hurriyat leaders including Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai, Aasiya Andrabi, Muhammad Yousuf Naqash, Mukhtar Ahmed Waza, Ghulam Ahmed Gulzar, Bilal Siddiqui, Ghulam Nabi Zaki, Syed Imtiyaz Haider, Muhammad Yasin Attai and Molvi Bashir Irfani under house arrest or in custody to prevent them from visiting Sopore town and leading the rally. KASHMIR VOICE
Srinagar, January 06 (Kashmir Voice): In occupied Kashmir, the Hurriyat forum led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has denounced the continued house detention of the Mirwaiz and termed it as frustration of the puppet authorities.
According to media sources, the forum spokesman in a statement issued in Srinagar said that the puppet regime was suffering from myopic vision syndrome and playing with the religious sentiments of the Muslims. He said that frequent house detention of Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and disallowing him from carrying out religious duties was a direct interference into his religious affairs and the action was highly condemnable. He said that it was ironical that just at the onset of 2018, the puppet authorities resorted to unfair means of barring the Mirwaiz from addressing the religious gathering at Jamia Masjid in Srinagar on the first Friday of the year, hurting the sentiments of thousands of Muslims who were waiting at the grand mosque. The spokesman said that by using the military might and dictatorial approach, the puppet authorities could not muzzle the Kashmiris’ just struggle for securing their right to self-determination. Meanwhile, Dukhtaran-e-Millat General Secretary, Nahida Nasreen, in a statement in Srinagar condemned the puppet authorities for placing the party Chairperson, Aasiya Andrabi, under house detention only eight days after her release from jail. She said, Aasiya Andrabi had an appointment with a doctor on Friday as she is suffering from multiple ailments but the authorities continue to place her under house arrest and did not allow her to move out. KASHMIR VOICE
Srinagar, January 06 (Kashmir Voice): In occupied Kashmir, rights activist, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, who is seeking investigations into Sopore massacre, has said that he is not content with BSF’s claims of punishing its guilty personnel.
According to media sources, in a report submitted to the Human Rights Commission of the territory last month the BSF said that it had identified 19 BSF personnel involved in the Sopore massacre of 1993.
The commission had sought the report from the BSF on a plea filed by Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, seeking investigation and justice in the case. “Nobody knows clearly about the enquiry process done by BSF in their own staff court of inquiry and if they have punished the culprits or not. The big question still lies unanswered that India’s Home Department has still not sent the sanction to permit the investigation and punish the culprits. When the Home Department will produce sanctions against the culprits involved in the crime then it will be the matter of punishment and justice,” Ahsan Untoo said. He said that the case was closed by the police two decades ago and stated in its report that nobody cooperated in the investigation process and the case was shifted to the India’s CBI. Muhammad Ahsan Untoo said that some of the victim families from Sopore were in touch with him and he would fight the case till the culprits were punished. KASHMIR VOICE